By Susan Wright
Director of IRR
NCSF’s Incident Reporting & Response received 62 reports & requests for assistance from individuals, groups and businesses in July, August & September 2018. That is down from 76 in the 2nd Quarter, and 87 in the 1st Quarter 2018, but still a 50% higher report rate than the last two quarters of 2017.
NCSF maintains the confidentiality of those who come to us for help. However, we balance that need with the need to report the services we are providing and to provide the community with a record of where the need is the greatest.
Here is a breakdown of the cases we dealt with in the 3rd Quarter of 2018:
There were 22 requests for resources and information involving criminal legal matters – 20% less than in the 2nd Quarter:
- 11 of those requests came from people who reported an assault, sexual assault, stalking, harassment, or were requests by prosecutors who needed education about consensual BDSM practices.
- 11 people requested resources and referrals for attorneys to assist in defending themselves against accusations of assault, sexual assault, stalking, harassment and threats of outing.
19 groups needed assistance compared to 27 groups in the 2nd Quarter of 2018:
- 7 groups needed help dealing with consent incidents or were inquiring about presenters/organizers
- 5 people were protesting being banned by a group
- 2 groups asked for assistance in dealing with police – 1 was falsely reported to be involved in sex trafficking and 1 was misrepresented to the police
- 2 groups asked for assistance in doing outreach to local civic and community organizations
- 1 group needed assistance in creating a consent policy
- 1 group was reported for outing
- 1 group was dealing with incorporation
There were 11 requests for resources and referrals for family court attorneys, up from 8 in the 2nd Quarter of 2018:
- 7 involved BDSM (3 with FetLife photos and 1 with photos on the cloud)
- 2 involved both BDSM and polyamorous relationships
- 1 involved sex work
- 1 involved CPS
8 requests, compared to 3 requests in the 2nd Quarter of 2018:
- 2 people needed help after being outed
- 2 people needed help with civic and community organizations
- 2 people were banned by businesses – one by PayPal and the other by AirBnB
- 1 employment discrimination because of BDSM and poly against a Federal employee
- 1 person needed help with photos that were posted without permission
2 people needed professional referrals – for a therapist and an attorney.